Friday, November 4, 2011

They Said It Couldn’t Be Done


You may ask who “they” are. They are all the people who think life is a gambit to be run at full speed and no matter who gets in the way you run them down like rabid dogs so you can be first to the finish line. In other words, he or she who finishes first with the most stuff wins the game of life. First of all life is not a game, nor is it a finish “first or suck” scenario.

I had a shop teacher in junior high school who said my identical twin brother and I wouldn’t amount to a hill of beans. He also said in a condescending, derogatory way, “It takes all kinds to make a world!” I doubt you are still alive, Mr. Adams, but you sucked as a teacher and human being. Perhaps I will luck out and you are still alive and reading this blog. That would give me great pleasure. In a way you were right though; it does take all kinds of people to make a world. Thank God, because if we were all like you, the world would be a miserable place to live!

I don’t know about teachers in the classrooms now-a-days, but when I was going to school (right after the wagon-train era) teachers expected everyone to be a certain way in looks and behavior. We (my brother and I) were not made from the same mold as most teachers would expect. The teachers treated us differently than the rest of the class. We were considered so different that our classification bordered on idiot status.

We both managed to graduate high school and followed in our father’s footsteps to the construction industry. It was a good thing actually. PhDs were pumping gas in the early ‘60s while we were making so much money we couldn’t spend it all. While we both had successful careers in construction, our real success was learning that life is a learning experience and it should teach us to love all creation and that includes our fellowman. The greatest lesson is that “we are spiritual beings having a human experience.”

With that being said, I forgive you, Mr. Adams. After all, you were a product of your times just as I am in my time. I am thankful for my life and the diversity in people I interact with daily. Some I laugh with, others I laugh at, but always with respect for feelings and sensitivities. “Life is truly a box of chocolates; you just never know what you are going to find in the wrapper.”

I’m just saying,

Mittster

No comments: