Friday, March 12, 2010

Murder Mystery Script

My dear friend, Annie Taylor (who was also a fellow Escondido High School chum), recently asked me a simple question that took me by surprise. "Are you going to write the screenplay for Evil in the Mirror?" What the hell is that about? The book isn't even published yet and she wants me to write the screenplay?

Dear Annie,

My first novel is still in edit, and I don't know how to write a screenplay.

Answer:

Dear Mitt,

As I recall, you didn't know how to write a novel either, but you did and it's being published because it is very good and you are a great story teller. I know that because of the two timing stories you told me when we were going steady in the eighth grade.

"Oh crap, she got me on that one! I think our going steady lasted a record two weeks."

In any case, I started thinking about the prospect of writing a screenplay and then trying to sell it to a Hollywood producer. IMPOSSIBLE, Mittster, just simply impossible, I thought to myself.

"That's it, I'm going to do it!!" Nothing is impossible...

My first challenge is to study up on screenplays, and then just write the damn thing. Failure? Maybe, but it won't be for the lack of trying.

No comments: