Saturday, April 10, 2010

Screw Writer's Block

An author friend of mine asked me recently how to stop writer's block. I listened intently about her problem and after she finished explaining her dilemma, I recommended that we both research the subject on the Web together and see what was cooking with writer's block.

If you click the title of this blog, you will find the site my friend and I thought addressed the problem best. We discussed "The Ten Tips for Overcoming Writer's Block" and agreed there was some helpful information and that at least four tips were particularly insightful.

2. Don't Be To Hard on Yourself:

This one really hit the nail on the head. As authors (especially newbie writers), we have the tendency to beat ourselves senseless at every opportunity. Lighten up, dudes and dudettes. Be kind to yourself, and laugh it off. Besides, why would you pay people to proof and edit your book if it is perfect to begin with. Trust me, it won't be anywhere close to perfect until this process is complete.

4. Take Time Off If You Have Just Finished a Project:

After I finished Evil in the Mirror, and the manuscript was sent to the publisher for proofing and editing, I must admit to starting three books simultaneously. I had to come up with not only a sequel, but two other book ideas that had been festering in my pea picker for years. I soon discovered that the most important thing for me to do was take my creative energy and start building an Author's Platform. In other words; figure out how I was going to market the book I had already written. I know my publisher is clamoring for another book to publish in conjunction with the one finished, but all in good time folks. "First things first" needs to be your plan.

7. Work On More Than One Project At a Time:

Shades of tip number 4. As it turned out, maybe having simultaneous projects is not such a bad thing. This tip may not be for everyone, but it's great to have future book ideas started and then you can come back to them at a later date. Personally, I like to focus and really dig in when writing a novel. I only come up for air when the body of the work is complete.

10. Remember Why You Started To Write In The First Place:

I liked this one a whole bunch. How many times have you heard how important it is to live your dreams with passion? I don't care what you do for a living, if it isn't what you want to do and there is no passion, it sucks! This goes for life in general, does it not? If your passion is to write and create works that thrill your readers, then forget writer's block, get on with it.

There you have it...write with passion, gusto and honesty. Don't worry about mistakes. Hell, I haven't made a mistake since "what time is it?"

No comments: