Saturday, March 19, 2011

Jungle Riding Anyone?

I had always been interested in surfing Hawaii in my younger days, but never made it because I was too busy trying to earn a living in construction on the mainland, but I did manage to surf the coast of California and Mexico. I finally surfed Maui in 2004; better late than never. It was a great experience, but I knew right away that my surfing days were over when my arms felt like they were going to fall off from paddling out beyond the breakers. Out-of-shape was an understatement!

In the meanwhile, riding Harleys had become my passion and occasionally I would jump on someone’s dirt bike just for fun. I recently went to work for a building contractor from Hawaii who also lives in Sedona, Arizona. After a couple of weeks, I learned that his passion was dirt bikes, and that his favorite place to ride was in the jungles of the big island of Hawaii. Holy smokes, riding dirt bikes in a jungle never occurred to me, but now that I think about it, why not, they ride everywhere else on earth.

I had the opportunity to see Kevin’s (my boss) dirt bike and I was impressed. Immediately I had the urge to ride it, but I kept the thought to myself. I am very nervous of any motorcycle that is so tall that your feet don’t touch the ground. Still, fantasies of riding the red rock country of Arizona danced in my head, along with the jungles of Hawaii.

Oh, brother, is this going to turn out to be something else my wife can worry about? I keep telling her that if I croak, she will be able to collect insurance money and not have to worry anymore about my crazy stunts. Her reply is always the same, “With my luck, you won’t croak and instead turn into a veggie. I will then have to take care of you for the rest of my born days!” I don’t understand her attitude; she already does that now….

Write on,

Mittster

No comments: