Monday, May 31, 2010

What is Memorial Day?

While paying tribute to my daughter, who is a veteran, for her sacrifices and service, I am also so very thankful for her safe return from harm's way in Iraq.

Today is the day we honor the fallen heroes who made the supreme sacrifice for their country. I also honor the families and loved ones of those heroes. Their grief is unimaginable and I could only guess at what my grief would be had one of the fallen been my daughter.

I also think today should be a celebration of the spirit and determination of all our returning veterans who are struggling daily to put their lives back in order after witnessing the horrors of war. It is not an easy journey for those who were wounded physically, emotionally or both. I salute each and every one of you for your courage, fortitude, strength and integrity.

No one can ever know how proud I am as a father, but more importantly as a fellow American who owes a huge debt of gratitude to our men and women in the military. I love each and every one of you!

Write on,

Mittster

1 comment:

wingennis said...

Your daughter thinks her family is worth the sacrifice. I was thinking about your biological father today and Uncle Gary, also. I was honored to be a part of a Gold Star Mother's Memorial Day service a couple of years ago as a senior female NCO-I represented the Navy. It was so hard to stand at attention for hours and not cry with the mothers!