Saturday, July 30, 2011
The Ten Commandments for Newbie Authors
1. Don’t take yourself too seriously.
2. Don’t quit your day job.
3. Buy a suit of armor, you will need it.
4. If you don’t think your book is superb, throw it in the trash.
5. Write because you are compelled, not because you think you see profit.
6. Write with passion or don’t write at all.
7. When in doubt, Google it.
8. If you are anti-social, stay with your day job.
9. If you are not computer literate, make sure your editor and proofer are.
10. Never stop promoting your work.
Even though I am still a newbie author after two books self-published, I have no regrets. The thrill of writing two murder mysteries lingers in my senses like the taste of fine wine. I am intoxicated with the feeling of accomplishment and proud that I indeed finished what I started albeit unknown to the world.
If you are compelled to write, then indeed start that first paragraph. The rest will come and you could create a best seller. You won’t know if you don’t go! Best wishes….